Thursday, July 4, 2013

OUYA, that's why I'm doing this.

I love how easy it is to make pun titles using this console name.  :D  Ok, now that that is out of my system, on to actual info.

Cirrell Battle, from OUYA Nation over at G+ asked the OUYA group this question this week:

"What do you plan to do with your new OUYA console?"

The following after the break point is straight from my reply on the group, and sums up my thoughts on the current OUYA games market.

TLDR: The market has more then it's share of problems, mostly from ported or cheap cash grabs, and from developers who don't remember to think like a consumer or keep marketing things like they did for android / iphone.  In short, don't market your game by annoying the people who haven't paid you cash.

------------

Developing and releasing a game for it. Hopefully more then one, but I'm a one man army so for now even one good game is a great goal.

I wish I could say I'd be playing games on it, but there really isn't much in the market that catches my attention without breaking my wallet just yet. To be fair, I have only given the market and OUYA about 20 hours of play so far, total, and most of that was spent having a little too much fun with The Amazing Frog.

From what I've seen, as a poor gamer on a shoestring budget, I'm not all that convinced to buy games yet. There are a number of reasons why:

1. Most have the paywall way too soon, making me feel like the rest of the game is going to be really short, or that I wasted my time downloading them in the first place.

2. It really sucks to download a 200+ MB game only to find it lasts about 5 minutes of non-replayable content (most of which is tutorials on how to play the paid for content) before hitting the paywall.

3. Or they are so expensive that I don't feel like it would be worth the money to buy it, which is often caused by the length of the game problem mentioned in 1. But not always, sometimes they just feel "cheap" or "ported from other systems", and when they feel cheap, I feel like I'd be ripped off if I bought them.

Every now and then I find a game that hit the balance just right. So there are a lot of gems to be found in that market. I just haven't had much time to invest in searching.

I'm both hoping that the time/value/cash ratio changes over time, and also working on my own game plans with these negative and positive experiences in mind.

I can't change the whole console overnight, but I can do my part as a developer to try to even out how much bang per buck the market has, and lower the disappointment factor of waiting to download "free" things only to delete them 5 minutes later due to no replay value on the free version.